When to travel to Japan
When to travel to Japan
If you are traveling to Japan and are wondering when is the best time for you to travel to Japan then you may find this blog helpful. As Japan has 4 season, I have listen the pros and cons of traveling to Japan during each season.
Winter (December to about mid-march depending on your location)
(photo credits: Alex.Hurst <a href=”http://www.flickr.com/photos/94393478@N02/16389326036″>Kinkakuji – Winter49</a> via <a href=”http://photopin.com”>photopin</a> <a href=”https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/”>(license)</a>)
- Skiing: If you love skiing and snowboarding then this is the best time for you to travel to Hokkaido and the Japan Alps which is the best place to get your ski and snowboard fix.
- Japanese Onsen: one of the best things about traveling to Japan is being able to experience the onsens. Japan has some of the most amazing natural onsens so it is definitely worth experiencing.
- Illuminations: Certain places in Japan have the most amazing illuminations. The most famous illumination would be the the Kobe Illumination which is absolutely beautiful.
- Food: Japan has many seasonal foods. The most popular during the winter time is hotpot which is delicious and will definitely warm you up.
- Snow Monkeys: The most famous monkey’s in Japan are the ones found warming up in the hot onsen at Jigokudani Yaen-Koen. These monkeys are so used to being around human beings that it is very safe even if you are extremely close to them. They may also lean up to you and touch your camera if you are taking a picture of them.
- Holiday Period: During the winter holiday and new years people will often be traveling back to their home in the countryside and so traveling using the shinkansen and hotels will often become expensive during this time. It will also be crowded everywhere you go.
- Closed for the holiday: Usually many places will be closed from December 31st to either the 2nd or 3rd day of January so keep that in mind when booking your flight to Japan.
- Very cold: If you are not someone who likes to stay out in the cold or you’re from a warm country and are not used to the cold then it probably isnt a good time for you to visit Japan.
Spring: (mid-march to May depending on location)
(photo credits:Tak H. <a href=”http://www.flickr.com/photos/130229276@N07/33562942824″>弘前公園西濠の例のアレ</a> via <a href=”http://photopin.com”>photopin</a> <a href=”https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/”>(license)</a>)
- Cherry Blossoms: Japan is most famous for their beautiful cherry blossom trees which usually bloom around mid April. However, the cherry blossoms will be in full bloom for only about two weeks so make sure to check the sakura bloom schedule before scheduling your trip.
- Warmer: For those do not like the cold then it would be much better for you to travel during Spring as it will be a little warmer during this time. It will still be a bit chilly but it will be much more bearable to do outdoor activities during Spring than it will be during Winter time.
- Spring Festivals:
There are a number of spring festivals that you can enjoy during the Spring time in Japan. One of the most famous Spring festivals is the Sanja Matsuri which takes place at the Sensoji shrine. It takes place from May 19th to May 21st.
- Children’s Day: Another famous Spring holiday in Japan is Children’s Day. It is a National Holiday to pray for the health and happiness of children and to also celebrate children. During this time you will see fish shaped streamers everywhere.
- Popular Season: This is when all the tourists like to travel to Japan as everyone wants to see the beautiful cherry blossoms. And as kids will often be out of school for Spring break everywhere you go will be super crowded. It is also an expensive time to travel as the train fair and hotel costs will go up during this time. If you plan to come during this time it would be best to travel much ahead of time as accommodations will fill up quickly.
Summer: (June to mid-September)
(photo credits:かがみ～ <a href=”http://www.flickr.com/photos/42944774@N02/15438137400″>嚴島神社 Itsukushima Shrine</a> via <a href=”http://photopin.com”>photopin</a> <a href=”https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/”>(license)</a>)
- Warm: If you do not like the cold and prefer to travel to Japan when it is warm then June is probably a good time for you to travel to Japan.
- Festivals: There are MANY summer festivals that you can enjoy and many fireworks. You can experience wearing a traditional yukata to a festival or fireworks in Japan.
- Beer gardens: There will be many outdoor events in Japan during summer like beer gardens and other food/drink outdoor events.
- Mount Fuji: During the months of June, July and August you can climb Mount Fuji. If you’re up for the challenge then summer is the best time for you to visit Japan to fit this into your trip.
- Food: Japan has delicious cold noodles during the summer and they have many shaved ice places to cool down during the hot summer.
- It is HOT: The end of June to beginning of July is when it REALLY starts to get hot outside. You will be melting so make sure to carry around water with you and go in doors to cool down in an air conditioned building.
- Crowded: It will be crowded everywhere you go and the costs will be expensive during this time.
- Rainy season: mid June to mid july is usually rainy season so it would be best to avoid traveling to Japan during this time if you plan on doing a lot of outdoor activities during your travel to Japan.
- Typhoons: The peak time of typhoons usually take place in late summer. It will rain a lot, trains will stop and planes will also stop during a typhoon so it would be best to avoid traveling during this time.
Fall: (mid-September ti early December)
(photo credits: vicjuan <a href=”http://www.flickr.com/photos/49851674@N00/44801402735″>9L1A1307_1309</a> via <a href=”http://photopin.com”>photopin</a> <a href=”https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/”>(license)</a>)
- Weather: In terms to the weather, it is very pleasant during the months of September, October and November. During September it’s still pretty warm so this would probably be the best time to travel during the Fall season.
- Autumn Leaves: You can witness all the amazing places with Autumn leaves. It’s absolutely breath taking.
- Halloween: If you’re really into dressing up and going out to party then you won’t want to miss out on Japan’s Halloween. In the last couple of years Halloween has become a HUGE thing in Japan. Especially when you go to areas like Shibuya and Roppongi there will be so many people that you will find it hard to even walk as the sidewalks will be packed with people.
- Peak Traveling Season: Because of the beautiful Autumn leaves many tourists do travel to Japan during this time. October and November are the peak months.
- Halloween: This is definitely a pro and a con. A pro for those who love to dress up and party and a con for those who don’t like to do those things. If you happen to be traveling during the Halloween week and want to avoid big crowds then it would probably be best to stay out of areas like Shibuya and Roppongi which is where it really gets crazy.
If you are interested in renting a pocket wifi device or a prepaid SIM card take a look at the following website: https://www.genkimobile.com/